I realised as I was writing my previous post that I am catastrophising (not sure how to spell it but I know it is a CBT term).
I am imagining the worse case scenario. I am replaying previous experiences and assuming they will happen again.
I am predicting the future, when I only have the present.
But I know how to deal with this. I am skilful. I have evidence that contradicts my fears. And I will just have to keep reciting the evidence until the anxiety lessens.
Evidence thus far:
- They are not rescue dogs.
- They are a different breed.
- They are not Damien.
- They will have each other for company when I am not around.
- I am different and will continue to change and grow.
- I can train them in my ways from the start.
- I am a skilled teacher, I can manage children, so I can train 2 docile puppies.
- These are so gorgeous friends will like them as opposed to dreading Damien coming round.
- If I have to, I can take them in to work. (I’m one of the bosses)
- They are dogs not humans.
- I have friendships where I am not enmeshed so I know how to remain separate.
And this list will grow.
Thanks for listening.